Sunday, September 30, 2012

Romanticized Colonialists


To be honest I am part of the "problem". When Said and others talk about Westerners stereotyping the Middle East, he is taking about me. Of course I like the Idea of an exotic mysterious different place in the world. Who wouldn’t want to travel to a region of adventure and excitement?  Have I romanticized the region? Yes! But isn’t that part of the allure? Of course if I went to Egypt I’d want to see pyramids. I want to trade in a Berber suk, ride a camel, and have a nomadic adventure. Is there really anything wrong with that? Attitudes like this have allowed the Middle East to develop tourist attractions, to make money for their people. Hey, if you got it flaunt it! This desire for a nomadic adventure has allowed small oasis towns to develop tourist industry and become a desirable travel destination to those who watched Lawrence of Arabia and the Man Who Would Be King, one too many times. Sure we are Romanticized Colonialists, but is it really wrong to appreciate the exoticness of the Middle East? There is sense of “Otherness” the culture is different but let’s embrace it and not run from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment